Wednesday, January 07, 2009

And three were sad...



Most of you know our dog Ripley either through the phone, in person at the door or just from hearing me complain. We got Ripley as a puppy 5 years ago when we lived in Utah. J.D. raised him up to be his kind of dog and that he was. I often felt like Rip and I had an unspoken war going for J.D.'s attention (lol). Jagen loved him to death. He made it through two moves with us. He watched two children join the family. He loved our kids and watched over them. There was one little problem. Rip and I never saw eye to eye and as the saying goes when mama ain't happy nobody's happy. So after many years of my pleading to get rid of him, it has come to pass. Now for those of you that are dog lovers you appreciate what a good dog he was. I know that he had so many great qualities, but there were two really bad things that I couldn't stand... the barking (it seemed to me to be never ending) and the shedding. After many tears and much discussion we had a friend list him on a rescue website for Border Collies. We had a wonderful lady named Linda contact us about adopting Rip. Last week we drove 8 hours round trip to take Ripley to his new home. His new family lives and works at a historic ranch in southern Arizona right on the border of Mexico. FYI - It is the very ranch where Geronimo surrendered. There are 125 achers for Rip to run and be free on. They have other dogs for him to play with. They have sheep and longhorns to wrangle in so his inner herder can shine through. J.D. wouldn't let me take him to the pound and I am so glad he didn't because this is the PERFECT place for Rip. When it came time to leave him Jagen and J.D. were obviously sad but I was shocked to have Tyce bawling his head off. He cried longer and harder than Jagen. Now as for Asey, all she was concerned with was the fact that she needed a soda to drink. I have a lot of guilt about this...especially mommy guilt with Jagen, but I must say I am relieved. I did promise Jagen that we will get another dog...it just has to be a dog that I pick this time. One that is smaller, not as loud and doesn't shed. So if anyone knows what breed that would be do share. Here is my Ode to Ripley in photos.










Ripley's New Home









16 comments:

Jared and Misty Jensen said...

I cant believe it kendra!!! Your little tribute almost made me shed a tear?? Our you just loving the silence? Glad you guys came to a compromise.

Heather said...

Oh my goodness, I didn't realize what a perfect home you found for him!!! It must be easier knowing he is in a great new home. The picture of Jagen made me almost cry - tell her I love her! Steve loved seeing you guys and he says that Reese is adorable and has the prettiest big blue eyes! I hope I can see you soon!!!! LOVES!

Julie said...

Very sad, but I totally understand why. And you know I wasn't a big Ripley fan! Achew! Makes me sneeze thinking about him! I just feel bad for J.D. and the kids. That must have been hard.

emily salway said...

I can't believe it! We had heard about it for so long, but never thought it would happen!
I have to say that although we have a dog, and Mike and I both grew up with dogs, we are not "dog people". But Ginger is a great dog. She is small, hardly barks, and doesn't shed a ton. We did get lucky!

Julie said...

I don't even like dogs but that makes me sad! The picture of Jagen tore my heart out! Good luck finding a new doggie!

Britt said...

Oh rip my heart out! I feel for your kids. Your pet is part of your family. Brock believes tho that a dog belongs outside on a farm! If he had his way we would not have any. But I love them. They teach children so many things.
BUT I know what it is like to have a shedding dog in your home. We used to have one. VERY hard to deal with.
Now we have two little Shiutzus and we love them. They do not shed and are allergy free. My kids love that they cuddle but dont hurt you when they do.
My suggestion to you is to go on several sites that help pick a breed based on your home, lifestyle etc. Make sure you get the right dog for you family. AND this does not mean a stuffed one! lol
Great photos!
Britt

Britt said...

Oh rip my heart out! I feel for your kids. Your pet is part of your family. Brock believes tho that a dog belongs outside on a farm! If he had his way we would not have any. But I love them. They teach children so many things.
BUT I know what it is like to have a shedding dog in your home. We used to have one. VERY hard to deal with.
Now we have two little Shiutzus and we love them. They do not shed and are allergy free. My kids love that they cuddle but dont hurt you when they do.
My suggestion to you is to go on several sites that help pick a breed based on your home, lifestyle etc. Make sure you get the right dog for you family. AND this does not mean a stuffed one! lol
Great photos!
Britt

Grandma Joan said...

It was a very sad day...But it was a great place for Rip to be. I hope he has adjusted. And J.D. will in time! Thanks for the fun New Year. We had a great time.

The Evans Family said...

O.K. I can finally comment without crying while I type!!! I totally understand both sides but it is like losing a family member! Glad Rip is in a good place for him! I bet Maggie was glad not to get left too!

The Evans Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marshall and Dana said...

We miss Rip! Or as Lexi would call him Ribbley!

Brookeandava said...

Awww so sad :[
There are lots of dogs that dont shed like weimaraners which are personally my favorite but thats a big dog like rip. But for little dogs there are a type of poodle taht dosent shed and is allergy free just like shiutzus. You just have to do research thats all. good luck!

Rachel said...

It's always sad to let go of a family pet. As for me... I'm not such a dog fan for the same reasons as you! But, I know kids get attached easier (mainly because they don't have to clean up the hair, slobber, poop, the stink etc) and it's hard to see them say goodbye to a lifelong friend.

Sally said...

Oh, that is sad but I'm glad you have sanity now! My mom just got a toy poodle, they don't shed and are very smart, and totally adorable. There are pictures on my blog of her. Also, yorkies don't shed and are really good tempered, my mom has one too. I love how small they are!

Tom made me get rid of a cat that we all loved and the kids cried for hours. I was mad at him! :) A few years went by and I got another cat and Tom promised the kids (and me) we would NEVER get rid of him.

Kathy C said...

Oh, man... that's breakin' my heart! But I sure am glad that I'm not the only mean mommy out there! =)

Molly said...

Oh, how sad for your kids but I can so understand your pain. Andy has been begging for a dog and I don't know if/when I will give in. I too will only do a non-shedding, smallish dog. We had a miniature schnauzer growing up. I loved her, she didn't shed but she barked a bit. It looks like Rip has a great new home with plenty of room to play.